Saturday 23 July 2016

The Almost Graduate: Part III of an Adult Learner’s Back-to-School Journey

Two and a half years ago, I was contemplating going back to school for the first time in a long time.

Study loan


After I started my education journey, I dished out advice at the midway point of my studies.

Today, I can say that I have successfully completed the Minneapolis Community & Technical College’s Screenwriting track in Cinema Studies.  I’m a step closer to my associate degree.

There’s still more to come for me. And you can start or redirect your own back-to-school journey.

I don’t have a career hinging on this degree.  This program was a passion project for me.  But while I was in it, especially at those busy times, I was more alert and tuned in to my job.  I made school and homework it work with my schedule because all of it was important to me.

You might want go back to school to start or move up in a career that requires a minimum degree or education.  The stories I write in my Cinema Studies classes have a beginning, middle and an end.  The same goes for planning your career.
Begin by assessing where you’re at, what you have, and where you want to go.  As I stated in my previous entry, there are opportunities for credit for prior learning, financial aid, and Adult Basic Education (ABE) classes.

When you’re in the middle of it, you’re bound to face everyday challenges as you work, study, and manage your family.  I kept a weekly schedule of what I needed to do, and when.

A “to-do” list helped me look out for things on the horizon. Marking them off as “complete” was a very good feeling to have, propelling me on to the next task.  I also included “me time” in order to decompress from the work and school week.

Most of my fellow college students were literally half my age! At school, I could have easily slipped into an “I don’t belong” mentality.  But we were all new students, all learning the same things.  Focusing on what we all had in common kept me going throughout.

Check out this Career wise comprehensive checklist to get a jump start your decision to return to school and the challenges you might face.

Keep your eye on the prize. What will it feel like when you’re finished?  And then, before you know it …

The end!  Congratulations!  You made it.  It was all worth it, wasn’t it?  For me, I made new friends and gained the respect of one of my instructors. He’s given me internship and freelance assignments and has asked me to be a tutor in the fall semester.  These are opportunities I never would have received had I not committed myself to the program.

Truth be told, I’m not quite done with my schooling.  After a few more cinema history classes next year I’ll earn a college certificate and an A.S. degree.  I’m piecing it together, but I’m making it happen.

Think about the next few years — where would you like to be in your career or Study loan? Start your own story today!


Source: https://educationloansinindia.wordpress.com/2016/07/23/the-almost-graduate-part-iii-of-an-adult-learners-back-to-school-journey/

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this informative article...To know more about Higher Education loan visit here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice article ..As I am looking for Student Loans in India. Currently taking guidance from Avanse.com. Referring you as well to take Student Loans In India .

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was applying for a loan to purchase my building as a small business owner in a tough situation, conventional banks said they could not help me. Mr Pedro, a loan officer, sat down with me, heard my situation and decided that I was worth taking a chance on. Here we are 3 years later and I have just renewed my loan for another 7 years. I couldn’t have purchased my building without the help of Mr Pedro and will be forever indebted to them for giving me a chance when no one else would." 
    I will recommend you to contact a loan officer Mr Pedro on the information below if you need any financial assistance. Email:  pedroloanss@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete